1) First of all, are you into Fantasy Football? If so, what's your team name and who have you picked in your side?
2) What's it like during breaks in the Footy Classified studios? Especially after an argument. A bit awkward? Or mutual respect for opinions?
Mutual respect generally. I am not privy to the meetings or discussions during the day and evening on the show. I just rock up at 7:30pm and away we go. The less I know the better. I don't like to preconceive things and I will not have things planned or arranged. The others are professional about things and if there is disagreement we don't take it personally and just move on.
3) What is Matt Rendell doing right now, job wise?
Looking at the next phase of his life. Just had a lengthy phone call with him. I would be surprised if a Vic based club did not pick him up. Looks like the AFL have gone quiet on offering him a gig. He is very talented, selfless, supportive and loyal. There are many inexperienced first time coaches that could well do with his knowledge, guidance and experience.
4) How do you think St Kilda will go this season? Is Scott Watters doing a good job?
I have strong hopes for the Saints ......still. If they have some decent luck and some of their main competitors have bad luck (like Pies at the moment) they could do some damage flying under radar. They have a cracking draw. Still have class players. Watters doing very good job getting games into young players and trying others. I like his style. He needs help but will develop into a great coach.
5) Do you see yourself coaching in the near future? Or have you settled yourself in the media?
No and No. I will not coach again especially under the current antiquated structure which I believe is unworkable and illogical. I enjoy the very small part I play in media. It keeps me connected and gives me an outside work interest. Its not my day job, not my primary aim and definitely not something that I spend more than a couple of hours a week on. I miss the radio aspect but until the AFL have less control over rights with stations I won't get a look in there. My utopia would be keep writing for WWOS-ninemsn and Footy Classified on nine along with a 1-2 hour stint one morning or night a week on radio. I enjoy the immediacy of radio along with the passionate connection with fans and opinions.
6) What's your opinion on this whole Buckley and Malthouse issue? Was it inevitable?
My opinion is they should have had a longer period of handover and it should have been more like the Roos/Longmire handover. Mick should still be at Collingwood overseeing football with Bucks directing development, strategy and training (similar to Sheedy/Williams). Mick was reluctant to depart whilst Bucks was reluctant to hang around much longer as assistant. I have no doubt the relationship affected team performance last year.
7) We've seen the improvement in Karmichael Hunt a few days ago, do you think Israel Folau will improve too? Or do you think he needs a big power forward to teach him, just like Ablett has taught Karmichael?
My 11 year old son would improve with the focus, attention and coaching they are getting. Good luck to them I am pleased for them. It is terrific that they are able to experience the game at the highest level without qualification. I also think its absurd to pay them over $1M a year to be incompetent at the game. I understand the marketing aspects and the competition against NRL however it is a pathetic strategy to apply against them. So if the NRL pays Patrick Dangerfield $1.5M per year for 5 years he will probably go to NRL. So what? I think its flagrant use of club funds (even though the AFL think its their money). Their progress and development will continue and people will salivate over things they become better at however the facts are if you continue to provide the support and opportunity to theses players eventually they will be competent - so what?
8) For anyone who is interested in coaching, what do you recommend to develop their skills and coaching abilities?
People management skills, change management skills, listening skills, organisational skills, assertiveness, empowerment, strategic, motivational, mental toughness with a dash of integrity, credibility and honesty. The football takes care of itself - its overrated and not that difficult. Football is not about football.