- The struggling Minnesota Vikings and the Rodgers-less Green Bay Packers played out a draw in Green Bay even after overtime, with both teams locked on 26 points apiece. It was the Packers who flew home after being 16 pts down, but in the end neither team could get their nose in front. Viking Adrian PETERSON was the star as usual with 32 carries for 146 yds and a touchdown.
- The San Diego Chargers and the Kansas City Chiefs played out a high scoring affair in Kansas City, with the Chargers upsetting the Chiefs and giving them only their second loss for the year, 41 to 38 in Kansas City. It was a QB shootout, with both RIVERS and SMITH throwing for a combined 686 yds and 6 touchdowns. WOW.
- The underrated St Louis Rams smashed the Chicago Bears in St Louis 42 – 21, on the back of a jump-start 21 point first quarter. It was a great team effort for the Rams, while the Bears left too much to stand-in QB Josh McCOWN, who did his utmost in completing 36 of 47 for 352 yds and 2 touchdowns.
- The Arizona Cardinals played host to the Indianapolis Colts and came away big winners taking out their fourth game in a row, 40 – 11. Both teams now sit at 7-4 for the season, with Arizona QB Carson PALMER leading his team to victory on the back of a 26 from 37, 314 yard and 2 touchdown game.
- Finally, in one of the games of the season the New England Patriots somehow came back from a 24 – 0 halftime scoreline to defeat the all-conquering Denver Broncos 34 – 31 in overtime. In delivering the Broncos only their second loss of the year, the Patriots were again led by QB Tom BRADY who passed for 344 yds and 3 touchdowns. Broncos RB Knowshon MORENO did his best to lift his team, running for an amazing 224 yds and a touchdown.
1. Josh GORDON - Wide Receiver, Cleveland Browns
Ranked 8th in the NFL for Wide receivers, GORDON is in the elite bracket, particularly since he has played in a struggling Browns team for his whole career so far. In last weekend’s game against the Steelers the red-hot GORDON caught 14 passes for a total of 237 yards and 1 touchdown, giving him a very impressive 29.70 pts. Look out for him again this week against the ordinary Jacksonville Jaguars.
Despite his team losing the game, MORENO had a stellar match last weekend against the Patriots, racking up a career-high 224 yards rushing and 1 touchdown despite injuring his ankle in overtime. That effort provided his owners with 29.00 fantasy points – something they will hope he can repeat again this week, rather than missing through injury.
3. Phillip RIVERS - Quarterback, San Diego Chargers
RIVERS doesn’t seem to get the accolades of some other QBs, however he is currently ranked 4th in the NFL at the signal-caller position, yet is still only held in 86% of fantasy leagues. With no match less than 10 pts and 4 in the mid or high 20s, RIVERS again put on a display last week with 392 yds thrown for 3 touchdowns. Those 27.78 fantasy points were certainly well earned.
PLAYERS TO WATCH
To our selections from last weekend first, and Running Backs RAINEY and BALL let us down with 3.5 and 3,7 points respectively, however we redeemed ourselves in the form of QB Carson PALMER, who delivered a very tasty 20.56 pts.
1. Ryan FITZPATRICK - Quarterback, Tennessee Titans
Only named in this category two weeks ago, FITZPATRICK continues to impress, gathering another 23.40 pts last weekend after throwing for 320 yds and 2 touchdowns. He now has almost 64 pts in the last three weeks, and is still in only 14.5% of fantasy leagues. Three of FITZY’s six games this year have been 20+ pts, which is a great strike rate. Get him on your bench at least.
2. Tiquan UNDERWOOD – Wide Receiver, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
UNDERWOOD has been just plugging along the last few weeks, however he had a career-best match last weekend, collecting three catches for 108 yards and two touchdowns. That provided a very nice 22.80 pts for the 0.1% of leagues who had him prior to that game. Is he worth the risk? Time will tell, but he has scored 3 TDs in his last 4 games, so if you’re a punter, then maybe?
3. Justin HUNTER - Wide receiver, Tennessee Titans
Ranked 76th overall for NFL Wide receivers, HUNTER was imposing last weekend against the Raiders, collecting all 6 passes thrown his way for 109 yards and 1 touchdown – and 16.9 fantasy pts. Held in under 1% of fantasy leagues, HUNTER could be a bit of a secret weapon going forward.
Another wrap done, another week down. By now your team should really be taking shape, with some slight tinkering to be had if someone catches your eye. Let us know your strengths and weaknesses as the season gets down to the pointy end.